Thursday, June 22, 2017

Very Berry Smoothie; Vegan; Meatless Monday!







It finally feels like summer here!! Well actually too much summer!! It is officially not summer yet!!😩😩 It was so hot all weekend long!! I couldn't bear it! All I did was drink fluids all weekend long. I didn't feel like eating anything due to the heat. 





I made this mixed berry smoothie using the berries I had in my refrigerator. This is the season for berries and I have atleast 2-3 kinds on hand all the time. The kids love yo munch on berries and I use them in my oatmeal. For the smoothie I used some overripe strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. I added a whole banana to give the smoothie thickness and sweetness. Just to be extra sure, I threw in a tablespoon of honey. I am aware that smoothies are made with milk but I blended the whole thing with water. You could use coconut water to give additional sweetness or to substitute for honey. You could strain it if you wish. I didn't strain it! The kids and hubby loved it! I am sure I will make this all summer long! It is a great way to get people who don't eat fruits to eat fruits! My son couldn't keep his hands off!


Servings: makes four 8 oz glasses 


Prep time: 5 minsCook time: 0 mins Total time: 5 mins 


Ingredients : 


Strawberries: 1 cup,hulled, washed and drained. 
Blueberries: 1 cup, hulled, washed and drained. 
Raspberries: 1 cup, hulled, washed and drained. 
Banana: 1, large
Honey/Agave : 1 tbsp
Water: 2 cups ( can add more depending on desired thickness)
Ice: 1+ 1 cup

Method:


Add all the above ingredients except 1 cup ice, to a blender. Pulse and blend for 1 minute.

Divide 1 cup ice between 4 cups. Pour the smoothie until desired level. Garnish with a fresh strawberry.

Serve chilled!

Enjoy!! I am sharing this with my dear friends at Angie's Fiesta Friday#177Your cohosts this week are Ai @ Ai Made It For You and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.

Cooking made easy: 

If you cannot be bothered with washing and cleaning the berries, you can use frozen berries. They usually come in a mixed bag and are perfect for smoothies! All you have to do is throw them in a blender! 

You can add soy/almond/coconut milk if you are vegan and regular milk if you are not. It makes for a great filling breakfast substitute. 


Tip for healthy living: 

Always wash berries just before using them. Soak them for 5 mins in cold water with a few drops of vinegar in it. This apparently helps clean most impurities. Then drain on paper towels.

Food for thought :

Fear is the mother of foresight. Thomas Hardy


Please do share your thoughts. Your opinion matters!



Let us stay connected on Facebook Pinterest | Twitter | Instagram | Google+


No comments:

Post a Comment